Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Cherry Pie


I am personally not too fond of cherry pie, however my husband loves it. My mom bought some cherries and I had the brilliant idea to make a cherry pie. It was so good!!! I had to share!! and i am going to try this recipe with other fruits sometime to see if they are as good too!!! (I will let you know how it is when I do it.)

Cherry Pie

2 pounds sour cherries, pitted
1 1/8 cups white sugar
3 1/2 TBS cornstarch

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine all in a bowl and let them macerate for a few minutes. Pour into pie shell. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. make several small slits in top to allow steam to escape. Place on aluminum foil lined tray. Bake 45-55 minutes until crust is lightly golden brown. ( the recipe says to cook the cherries but after ready some comments I tried it this way with a different crust, so without having a hot filling I baked it closer to the 55 minutes.)


Pie Crust

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening, chilled
3 tablespoons ice water

whisk the flour and salt together in a medium size bowl. With a pastry blender, cut in the cold shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Drizzle 2-3 tablespoons ice water (I used 3 TBS both times I made it.) over flour. Toss mixture with fork to moisten. Gentle gather dough into a ball. Place on between 2 sheets of waxed paper and roll out dough. Put in pie plate. (this recipe is for a bottom or a top, so I did it twice for a top and a bottom.) My mother-in-law said you can put a little bit of vinegar (tsp) in the water to make it flakier. I hadn't used the vinegar and I found it was flaky and I was happy with what I had. But if you want to make sure it's flaky go for it!!

No comments: